Boulton Paul Defiant

Luboš Pavel

Boulton Paul Defiant

Příspěvek od Luboš Pavel »

Něco, co jsem objevil na disku při úklidu. Hodně pochází z IWM.
Přílohy
The prototype Boulton Paul Defiant, K8310, which first flew in August 1937.
The prototype Boulton Paul Defiant, K8310, which first flew in August 1937.
Defiant Mark Is, including L7026 ‘PS-V’ and N1535 ‘PS-A’, of No. 264 Squadron RAF based at Kirton-in-Lindsey, Lincolnshire, in flight.
Defiant Mark Is, including L7026 ‘PS-V’ and N1535 ‘PS-A’, of No. 264 Squadron RAF based at Kirton-in-Lindsey, Lincolnshire, in flight.
Fitters working on the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine of a Boulton Paul Defiant of No. 125 Squadron RAF at Fairwood Common, Wales, January 1942.
Fitters working on the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine of a Boulton Paul Defiant of No. 125 Squadron RAF at Fairwood Common, Wales, January 1942.
An air-gunner of No. 264 Squadron RAF about to enter the gun-turret of his Boulton Paul Defiant Mark I at at Kirton-in-Lindsey, Lincolnshire. He is wearing the GQ Parasuit, supplied exclusively to Defiant gunners, which incorporates a parachute harness and life-saving jacket within a smock overall. Four .303 Browning machine-guns are mounted in the Boulton Paul power-operated turret.
An air-gunner of No. 264 Squadron RAF about to enter the gun-turret of his Boulton Paul Defiant Mark I at at Kirton-in-Lindsey, Lincolnshire. He is wearing the GQ Parasuit, supplied exclusively to Defiant gunners, which incorporates a parachute harness and life-saving jacket within a smock overall. Four .303 Browning machine-guns are mounted in the Boulton Paul power-operated turret.
Defiant Mark Is, (N1536, ‘PS-R’ nearest), of No. 264 Squadron RAF, lined up at Kirton-in-Lindsey, Lincolnshire.
Defiant Mark Is, (N1536, ‘PS-R’ nearest), of No. 264 Squadron RAF, lined up at Kirton-in-Lindsey, Lincolnshire.
Defiant Mark I night fighter, T4037 ‘JT-T’, of No. 256 Squadron RAF, on the ground at Squires Gate, Blackpool, Lancashire. The retractable fuselage fairings aft of the turret have been lowered for firing. (Background of photograph censored).
Defiant Mark I night fighter, T4037 ‘JT-T’, of No. 256 Squadron RAF, on the ground at Squires Gate, Blackpool, Lancashire. The retractable fuselage fairings aft of the turret have been lowered for firing. (Background of photograph censored).
Defiant Mark I night fighter, N3313 ‘PS-P’, of No. 264 Squadron RAF based at West Malling, Kent, in flight
Defiant Mark I night fighter, N3313 ‘PS-P’, of No. 264 Squadron RAF based at West Malling, Kent, in flight
With the bush covered hills of Sierra Leone as a background three Fleet Air Arm Defiants circle to land.
With the bush covered hills of Sierra Leone as a background three Fleet Air Arm Defiants circle to land.
Boulton Paul Defiant prototype K8310, 1937.
Boulton Paul Defiant of No. 264 Squadron being refuelled, July 1940.
Crews being taken out to their Boulton Paul Defiants of No. 264 Squadron, July 1940.
Crews being taken out to their Boulton Paul Defiants of No. 264 Squadron, July 1940.
An air gunner climbs into a Boulton Paul Defiant of No. 264 Squadron, July 1940.
An air gunner climbs into a Boulton Paul Defiant of No. 264 Squadron, July 1940.
The pilots of 264 Squadron in front of a Boulton Paul Defiant fighter aircraft.
The pilots of 264 Squadron in front of a Boulton Paul Defiant fighter aircraft.
Boulton Paul Defiant Mk Is of No.264 Squadron, July 1940.
Boulton Paul Defiant Mk Is of No.264 Squadron, July 1940.
Defiant TT Mark I, DR863, on the ground at the Boulton Paul Aircraft Ltd aerodrome, Wolverhampton. Following tests at the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment, the aircraft joined the Gunnery Research Unit at Exeter.
Defiant TT Mark I, DR863, on the ground at the Boulton Paul Aircraft Ltd aerodrome, Wolverhampton. Following tests at the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment, the aircraft joined the Gunnery Research Unit at Exeter.
Defiant Mk.II, AA370, equipped with A.I. Mark.VI radar, on the ground at the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment, Boscombe Down, Wiltshire, for handling tests. Following these, AA370 was returned to the manufacturers, where it was converted to target-tug configuration, serving subsequently with No. 22 Anti-Aircraft Cooperation Unit.
Defiant Mk.II, AA370, equipped with A.I. Mark.VI radar, on the ground at the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment, Boscombe Down, Wiltshire, for handling tests. Following these, AA370 was returned to the manufacturers, where it was converted to target-tug configuration, serving subsequently with No. 22 Anti-Aircraft Cooperation Unit.
Defiant TT Mark III, N1697, on the ground at Desford, Leicestershire, following its conversion from a Mark I night fighter to a target tug by Reid & Sigrist Ltd. Before conversion, N1697 flew operations with No. 256 Squadron RAF. As a target tug, it served with Nos. 288 and 667 Squadrons RAF.
Defiant TT Mark III, N1697, on the ground at Desford, Leicestershire, following its conversion from a Mark I night fighter to a target tug by Reid & Sigrist Ltd. Before conversion, N1697 flew operations with No. 256 Squadron RAF. As a target tug, it served with Nos. 288 and 667 Squadrons RAF.
I'm your curse!
Luboš Pavel

Re: Boulton Paul Defiant

Přílohy
Boulton Paul Defiant Mk I night-fighter of No. 264 Squadron RAF, silhouetted against the clouds during a low-level pass over its base at Biggin Hill, Kent, April 1941.
Boulton Paul Defiant Mk I night-fighter of No. 264 Squadron RAF, silhouetted against the clouds during a low-level pass over its base at Biggin Hill, Kent, April 1941.
Flight Sergeant E R Thorn (pilot, left) and Sergeant F J Barker (air gunner) of No 264 Squadron RAF and their Teddy Bear mascot, presented to them by their ground crew, posing with their Boulton-Paul Defiant Mark I at Biggin Hill, Kent, after destroying their first Heinkel He 111, bringing their total of enemy aircraft destroyed to thirteen. These two sergeants became the most successful Defiant partnership of the war.
Flight Sergeant E R Thorn (pilot, left) and Sergeant F J Barker (air gunner) of No 264 Squadron RAF and their Teddy Bear mascot, presented to them by their ground crew, posing with their Boulton-Paul Defiant Mark I at Biggin Hill, Kent, after destroying their first Heinkel He 111, bringing their total of enemy aircraft destroyed to thirteen. These two sergeants became the most successful Defiant partnership of the war.
Riggers examining the damage to the elevators of a Boulton-Paul Defiant Mark I, of No. 264 Squadron RAF in a hangar at Duxford, Cambridgeshire, following their battle with German fighters over Dunkirk on 29 May 1940.
Riggers examining the damage to the elevators of a Boulton-Paul Defiant Mark I, of No. 264 Squadron RAF in a hangar at Duxford, Cambridgeshire, following their battle with German fighters over Dunkirk on 29 May 1940.
Squadron Leader P A Hunter (far left), the Commanding Officer of No. 264 Squadron RAF, briefs his pilots by a Boulton-Paul Defiant Mark I of the Squadron at Duxford, Cambridgeshire.
Squadron Leader P A Hunter (far left), the Commanding Officer of No. 264 Squadron RAF, briefs his pilots by a Boulton-Paul Defiant Mark I of the Squadron at Duxford, Cambridgeshire.
Boulton Paul Defiant Mark Is (L7006 'PS-X' nearest) of No. 264 Squadron RAF, being prepared for take off by groundcrew at Kirton-in-Lindsey, Lincolnshire.August 1940.
Boulton Paul Defiant Mark Is (L7006 'PS-X' nearest) of No. 264 Squadron RAF, being prepared for take off by groundcrew at Kirton-in-Lindsey, Lincolnshire.August 1940.
The prototype Boulton Paul Defiant prior to being fitted with its turret.
The prototype Boulton Paul Defiant prior to being fitted with its turret.
No 264 Squadron's CO, Squadron Leader Philip Hunter, leads a 'vic' of Defiants up from Kirton-in-Lindsey, early August 1940.
No 264 Squadron's CO, Squadron Leader Philip Hunter, leads a 'vic' of Defiants up from Kirton-in-Lindsey, early August 1940.
Boulton Paul Defiant Mark I night-fighter of No. 264 Squadron RAF, on the runway at Biggin Hill, Kent, preparing for a night take-off.
Boulton Paul Defiant Mark I night-fighter of No. 264 Squadron RAF, on the runway at Biggin Hill, Kent, preparing for a night take-off.
Six Boulton Paul Defiant Mark I night fighters of No. 264 Squadron RAF based at West Malling, Kent, flying in port echelon formation.
Six Boulton Paul Defiant Mark I night fighters of No. 264 Squadron RAF based at West Malling, Kent, flying in port echelon formation.
An air gunner in the turret of a Boulton Paul Defiant Mark I of No. 264 Squadron RAF, trains his four .303 Browning machine-guns skywards at Kirton-in-Lindsey, Lincolnshire.
An air gunner in the turret of a Boulton Paul Defiant Mark I of No. 264 Squadron RAF, trains his four .303 Browning machine-guns skywards at Kirton-in-Lindsey, Lincolnshire.
Six Boulton Paul Defiant Mark Is of No. 264 Squadron RAF Kirton-in-Lindsey, Lincolnshire, flying in loose 'vic' formations.
Six Boulton Paul Defiant Mark Is of No. 264 Squadron RAF Kirton-in-Lindsey, Lincolnshire, flying in loose 'vic' formations.
Two of the station's Boulton Paul Defiant aircraft in flight after taking off from HMS SPURWING, Royal Naval Air Station in Sierra Leone, once a stretch of untouchable bush.
Two of the station's Boulton Paul Defiant aircraft in flight after taking off from HMS SPURWING, Royal Naval Air Station in Sierra Leone, once a stretch of untouchable bush.
Boulton Paul Defiant TT Mark II, AA495 '4', of No. 26 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit, parked on an airfield in the Middle East, probably El Firdan, Egypt.
Boulton Paul Defiant TT Mark II, AA495 '4', of No. 26 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit, parked on an airfield in the Middle East, probably El Firdan, Egypt.
Boulton Paul Defiant Mark I night fighter, N1801 'PS-B' "Coimbatore II", of No. 264 Squadron RAF, undergoing a routine service in a dispersal, probably at Colerne, Wiltshire. This aircraft was flown by the effective night-fighting team of Flying Officer F D Hughes (pilot) and Sergeant F Gash (gunner), and displays a victory tally of 5 enemy aircraft shot down. In 1942 Hughes converted to the Bristol Beaufighter and, flying with Nos. 125 and 600 Squadrons RAF, further increased his score. By the end of the war, he commanded No 604 Squadron RAF and had destroyed 18.5 enemy aircraft.
Boulton Paul Defiant Mark I night fighter, N1801 'PS-B' "Coimbatore II", of No. 264 Squadron RAF, undergoing a routine service in a dispersal, probably at Colerne, Wiltshire. This aircraft was flown by the effective night-fighting team of Flying Officer F D Hughes (pilot) and Sergeant F Gash (gunner), and displays a victory tally of 5 enemy aircraft shot down. In 1942 Hughes converted to the Bristol Beaufighter and, flying with Nos. 125 and 600 Squadrons RAF, further increased his score. By the end of the war, he commanded No 604 Squadron RAF and had destroyed 18.5 enemy aircraft.
Protection for convoys is one of the jobs of the Fleet Air Arm planes of the Royal Air Naval Station, Sierra Leone. Here a Boulton Paul Defiant from the station sweeps over a big convoy which is just leaving Freetown Harbour. The aircraft took off from from HMS SPURWING, Royal Naval Air Station in Sierra Leone, once a stretch of untouchable bush. Part of the wings and struts of the biplane from which the photograph was taken are in the foreground.
Protection for convoys is one of the jobs of the Fleet Air Arm planes of the Royal Air Naval Station, Sierra Leone. Here a Boulton Paul Defiant from the station sweeps over a big convoy which is just leaving Freetown Harbour. The aircraft took off from from HMS SPURWING, Royal Naval Air Station in Sierra Leone, once a stretch of untouchable bush. Part of the wings and struts of the biplane from which the photograph was taken are in the foreground.
The Royal Aeronautical Society Garden Party of 1938, attended by General Erhard Milch and other Luftwaffe officers, who examined the Defiant with interest, giving a lie to the myth that the Luftwaffe were 'surprised' by the Defiant's turret over Dunkirk and suffered the consequences
The Royal Aeronautical Society Garden Party of 1938, attended by General Erhard Milch and other Luftwaffe officers, who examined the Defiant with interest, giving a lie to the myth that the Luftwaffe were 'surprised' by the Defiant's turret over Dunkirk and suffered the consequences
037.jpg
A 256 Sqd Defiant about to take off from Squires Gate in the winter of 1940/41
A 256 Sqd Defiant about to take off from Squires Gate in the winter of 1940/41
A 256 Squadron Defiant in flight
A 256 Squadron Defiant in flight
040.jpg
I'm your curse!
Luboš Pavel

Přílohy
041.jpg
042.jpg
043.jpg
044.jpg
046.jpg
047.jpg
048.jpg
Defiants of No.264 Squadron during the Battle of Britain
Defiants of No.264 Squadron during the Battle of Britain
Colin Evans test flying a Defiant over Chillington Hall
Colin Evans test flying a Defiant over Chillington Hall
Defiant N3333
Defiant N3333
New Defiants awaiting delivery outside Boulton Paul Aircraft factory 1940
New Defiants awaiting delivery outside Boulton Paul Aircraft factory 1940
Defiant N3377 of No., 264 Squadron
Defiant N3377 of No., 264 Squadron
Thorn/Barker, top-scoring Defiant crew with 12.5 victories
Thorn/Barker, top-scoring Defiant crew with 12.5 victories
057.jpg
058.jpg
059.jpg
060.jpg
Defiant tailplanes under construction inside Boulton Paul
Defiant tailplanes under construction inside Boulton Paul
Deanesley/Scott with their No.256 Squadron Defiant night fighter in which they had 4 victories
Deanesley/Scott with their No.256 Squadron Defiant night fighter in which they had 4 victories
I'm your curse!
Luboš Pavel

Přílohy
061.jpg
062.jpg
063.jpg
064.jpg
065.jpg
066.jpg
&quot;F/Sgt Edward Thorn, DFM with his hands on the tailplane and Flt/Lt N Cooke, DFC standing with his back to the camera leaning on the tail plane in black flying overalls.<br />P/O Young in forage cap to Hunters left side. David Whitley stood far right.&quot;
"F/Sgt Edward Thorn, DFM with his hands on the tailplane and Flt/Lt N Cooke, DFC standing with his back to the camera leaning on the tail plane in black flying overalls.
P/O Young in forage cap to Hunters left side. David Whitley stood far right."
'JT' is No 256 Sqn
'JT' is No 256 Sqn
069.jpg
070.jpg
071.jpg
US-Target Def., propaby dr944
US-Target Def., propaby dr944
A I Radar
A I Radar
074.jpg
The Tropicalised Boulton Paul Defiant TT Mk 1 AA591, is seen at Tezgoan, India, on June 14, 1944. Converted to a target tug from a Mk II in 1943, it was struck off charge in June 1945 and then went to the Indian Air Force. The slipstream-driven winch propeller is visible behind the rearmost transparency, swivelled into neutral position. The drogue targets were housed in the fairing forward of the tailwheel.    slight correction to the original caption. the photo shows it already in service of the IAF. No.22 AACU was always IAF.
The Tropicalised Boulton Paul Defiant TT Mk 1 AA591, is seen at Tezgoan, India, on June 14, 1944. Converted to a target tug from a Mk II in 1943, it was struck off charge in June 1945 and then went to the Indian Air Force. The slipstream-driven winch propeller is visible behind the rearmost transparency, swivelled into neutral position. The drogue targets were housed in the fairing forward of the tailwheel. slight correction to the original caption. the photo shows it already in service of the IAF. No.22 AACU was always IAF.
A week on Monday, 10th August, I will be at the Blackpool Airshow with Chattie on display, for my 'RAF Squires Gate' visit - now no longer a serving station, but my father was posted here from November 1941 to June 1942, when the Squadron moved to Woodvale. I will be at Woodvale on Saturday 8th. My father's photograph shows a Defiant of 256 Squadron. I'm not sure who the pilot is who's staring at the camera, but think it may be Sgt Ray Jeffs, a New Zealander.
A week on Monday, 10th August, I will be at the Blackpool Airshow with Chattie on display, for my 'RAF Squires Gate' visit - now no longer a serving station, but my father was posted here from November 1941 to June 1942, when the Squadron moved to Woodvale. I will be at Woodvale on Saturday 8th. My father's photograph shows a Defiant of 256 Squadron. I'm not sure who the pilot is who's staring at the camera, but think it may be Sgt Ray Jeffs, a New Zealander.
A Boulton Paul Defiant Mk I Serial # V1123 based at Drem, Scotland in October 1941 with No. 410 (NF) Squadron.
A Boulton Paul Defiant Mk I Serial # V1123 based at Drem, Scotland in October 1941 with No. 410 (NF) Squadron.
078.jpg
079.jpg
&quot;As we know, the Defiant also had a worthy second career as an effective night fighter during the 1940 London Blitz but largely forgotten is that one squadron - 515 Squadron - of Defiants was among the world's first effective electronic countermeasures units, carrying radar-jamming and spoofing equipment in support of RAF cross-Channel raids in 1942-43..<br /><br />Two types of electronic countermeasures equipment were carried by the Defiant, both countering the German Freya early warning radar. The first system to be deployed was &quot;&quot;Moonshine&quot;&quot;, which re-transmitted the radar's signals to simulate large formations of aircraft. As each &quot;&quot;Moonshine&quot;&quot; transmitter only covered part of the Freya's frequency, a formation of eight Defiants was needed, giving the appearance of over 100 aircraft. As the system required formation flying, it could only be used in daylight, where it could draw German fighters onto British fighters leaving another area relatively free for a British bombing raid.<br /><br />A &quot;&quot;Special Duties Flight&quot;&quot; was set up in May 1942 to use the new countermeasures equipment, with &quot;&quot;Moonshine&quot;&quot; being used for its first live test on 6 August 1942. Subsequently it was used operationally as part of &quot;&quot;Circuses&quot;&quot; against coastal targets and on 19 August in support of the Dieppe Raid. The Flight became No. 515 Squadron RAF on 1 October 1942, operations with &quot;&quot;Moonshine&quot;&quot; continuing until November 1942.&quot;
"As we know, the Defiant also had a worthy second career as an effective night fighter during the 1940 London Blitz but largely forgotten is that one squadron - 515 Squadron - of Defiants was among the world's first effective electronic countermeasures units, carrying radar-jamming and spoofing equipment in support of RAF cross-Channel raids in 1942-43..

Two types of electronic countermeasures equipment were carried by the Defiant, both countering the German Freya early warning radar. The first system to be deployed was ""Moonshine"", which re-transmitted the radar's signals to simulate large formations of aircraft. As each ""Moonshine"" transmitter only covered part of the Freya's frequency, a formation of eight Defiants was needed, giving the appearance of over 100 aircraft. As the system required formation flying, it could only be used in daylight, where it could draw German fighters onto British fighters leaving another area relatively free for a British bombing raid.

A ""Special Duties Flight"" was set up in May 1942 to use the new countermeasures equipment, with ""Moonshine"" being used for its first live test on 6 August 1942. Subsequently it was used operationally as part of ""Circuses"" against coastal targets and on 19 August in support of the Dieppe Raid. The Flight became No. 515 Squadron RAF on 1 October 1942, operations with ""Moonshine"" continuing until November 1942."
I'm your curse!
Luboš Pavel

Přílohy
081.jpg
Sgt Jankowiak with his Defiant, after scoring his second victory on 12 April 1941.
Sgt Jankowiak with his Defiant, after scoring his second victory on 12 April 1941.
September 1940. Kirton-in-Lindsey - the squadron's Defiant Mk I in front of a hangar from which it was temporarily evicted, making room to celebrate a Mass.
September 1940. Kirton-in-Lindsey - the squadron's Defiant Mk I in front of a hangar from which it was temporarily evicted, making room to celebrate a Mass.
&quot;No. 307 (City of Lwów) Polish Night Fighter Squadron (Polish: 307 Dywizjon Myśliwski Nocny &quot;&quot;Lwowskich Puchaczy&quot;&quot; ) was a Polish night fighter squadron[1] formed in Great Britain on 24 August 1940 following an agreement between the Polish Government in Exile and the United Kingdom. It was the only Polish night fighter squadron fighting alongside the Royal Air Force during World War II. 307 Squadron is named after the Polish city of Lwów, and nicknamed &quot;&quot;Eagle Owls&quot;&quot;.<br /><br />The nickname &quot;&quot;Eagle Owls&quot;&quot; comes from fighters who defended Lwów (now Lviv; German: Lemberg) in Galicia, Poland from invading Ukrainian forces in the Polish-Ukrainian War of 1918–1919, who were referred to as the Lwów Eaglets (Polish: Orlęta Lwowskie). The nickname is also appropriate to a night fighter squadron, as the eagle owl is a predator that flies at night.<br /><br />After its formal formation in Blackpool on 24 August 1940 No. 307 squadron was assembled at RAF Kirton-in-Lindsey on 5 September 1940 as a night fighter unit, flying the Boulton Paul Defiant turret-fighter and took up residence at RAF Jurby, Isle of Man. An example of the Boulton Paul Defiant, with serial number N1671, EW-D, the sole complete surviving Defiant is to be seen on display at the RAF Museum at RAF Hendon. In August 1941 the squadron converted to Beaufighters which it flew until being re-equipped with Mosquitoes in late 1942. From 1943 the squadron was based at RAF Predannack, Cornwall, and was active as a night intruder unit over airfields in occupied France. This changed in January 1945, when its role was switched to bomber support, combating German night fighters.&quot;
"No. 307 (City of Lwów) Polish Night Fighter Squadron (Polish: 307 Dywizjon Myśliwski Nocny ""Lwowskich Puchaczy"" ) was a Polish night fighter squadron[1] formed in Great Britain on 24 August 1940 following an agreement between the Polish Government in Exile and the United Kingdom. It was the only Polish night fighter squadron fighting alongside the Royal Air Force during World War II. 307 Squadron is named after the Polish city of Lwów, and nicknamed ""Eagle Owls"".

The nickname ""Eagle Owls"" comes from fighters who defended Lwów (now Lviv; German: Lemberg) in Galicia, Poland from invading Ukrainian forces in the Polish-Ukrainian War of 1918–1919, who were referred to as the Lwów Eaglets (Polish: Orlęta Lwowskie). The nickname is also appropriate to a night fighter squadron, as the eagle owl is a predator that flies at night.

After its formal formation in Blackpool on 24 August 1940 No. 307 squadron was assembled at RAF Kirton-in-Lindsey on 5 September 1940 as a night fighter unit, flying the Boulton Paul Defiant turret-fighter and took up residence at RAF Jurby, Isle of Man. An example of the Boulton Paul Defiant, with serial number N1671, EW-D, the sole complete surviving Defiant is to be seen on display at the RAF Museum at RAF Hendon. In August 1941 the squadron converted to Beaufighters which it flew until being re-equipped with Mosquitoes in late 1942. From 1943 the squadron was based at RAF Predannack, Cornwall, and was active as a night intruder unit over airfields in occupied France. This changed in January 1945, when its role was switched to bomber support, combating German night fighters."
Boulton-Paul Defiant TT Mk. II target tug.
Boulton-Paul Defiant TT Mk. II target tug.
086.jpg
A group of pilots on a Boulton Paul Defiant Squadron pose with their Squadron Mascot at RAF Driffield.
A group of pilots on a Boulton Paul Defiant Squadron pose with their Squadron Mascot at RAF Driffield.
088.jpg
089.jpg
Boulton Paul Defiant F. Mk 1
Boulton Paul Defiant F. Mk 1
Boulton Paul Defiant TT Mk 1
Boulton Paul Defiant TT Mk 1
092.jpg
093.jpg
094.jpg
095.jpg
Boulton Paul Type &quot;A&quot; Mk.IID, for the buddies.
Boulton Paul Type "A" Mk.IID, for the buddies.
097.jpg
Inside the camera gun turret for the Defiant trials at the AFDU ( Air Fighting Development Unit ) Northolt. Camera fitted in the starboard slots where the Brownings would go.
Inside the camera gun turret for the Defiant trials at the AFDU ( Air Fighting Development Unit ) Northolt. Camera fitted in the starboard slots where the Brownings would go.
099.jpg
Boulton-Paul Defiant TT Mk1 AA507
Boulton-Paul Defiant TT Mk1 AA507
I'm your curse!
Luboš Pavel

Přílohy
101.jpg
Further to my post of the AFDU pitching the Defiant against a Spitfire, here's the turret with the camera gun fitted.
Further to my post of the AFDU pitching the Defiant against a Spitfire, here's the turret with the camera gun fitted.
103.jpg
Boulton Paul Defiant crew... Flt Sgt Ted Thorn (left) and his gunner Sgt Fred Barker (right)... The latter being the RAF's most successful air gunner of WW2.
Boulton Paul Defiant crew... Flt Sgt Ted Thorn (left) and his gunner Sgt Fred Barker (right)... The latter being the RAF's most successful air gunner of WW2.
105.jpg
&quot;Another Defiant Ace.. Plt Officer Hugh Tamblyn who served with No141 Sqn before achieving acedom with 242 Sqn.<br />Killed In Action.. April 3rd,1941. &quot;
"Another Defiant Ace.. Plt Officer Hugh Tamblyn who served with No141 Sqn before achieving acedom with 242 Sqn.
Killed In Action.. April 3rd,1941. "
&quot;Sqn Ldr Philip Hunter...264 Sqn's leader until his death in action on August 24th 1940.<br />Also known for being a Boulton Paul Defiant Ace.&quot;
"Sqn Ldr Philip Hunter...264 Sqn's leader until his death in action on August 24th 1940.
Also known for being a Boulton Paul Defiant Ace."
108.jpg
109.jpg
110.jpg
111.jpg
112.jpg
113.jpg
114.jpg
115.jpg
116.jpg
117.jpg
118.jpg
119.jpg
120.jpg
I'm your curse!
Luboš Pavel

Přílohy
121.jpg
122.jpg
123.jpg
124.jpg
125.jpg
&quot;256 Squadron members at Squires Gate in Spring 1941<br /><br />On 23 November 1940, No.256 reformed at Catterick as a night fighter squadron with Defiants and became operational over south-west England early in February 1941. In March it moved north to defend Merseyside and in July aquired some Hurricanes. Beaufighters began to arrive in May 1942, and were flown until the squadron was transferred to southern England in April 1943 and converted to Mosquitoes. In July 1943, a detachment was sent to Malta to help cover the Allied landings in Sicily and in October the wholw squadron moved there. In April 1944 it moved to Algeria whre it absorbed the Spitfires of the Gibraltar Defence Flight on 6 May and in August moved to Sardinia, followed a month later by a move to Italy. Intruder Flights over the Balkans began and continued until the end of the war. In September 1945, No.256 moved to Egypt and in addition to its night fighter role also operated a flight of meteorlogical Mosquitoes from April 1946. After moving to Cyprus in July 1946 the squadron disbanded on 12 September 1946.&quot;
"256 Squadron members at Squires Gate in Spring 1941

On 23 November 1940, No.256 reformed at Catterick as a night fighter squadron with Defiants and became operational over south-west England early in February 1941. In March it moved north to defend Merseyside and in July aquired some Hurricanes. Beaufighters began to arrive in May 1942, and were flown until the squadron was transferred to southern England in April 1943 and converted to Mosquitoes. In July 1943, a detachment was sent to Malta to help cover the Allied landings in Sicily and in October the wholw squadron moved there. In April 1944 it moved to Algeria whre it absorbed the Spitfires of the Gibraltar Defence Flight on 6 May and in August moved to Sardinia, followed a month later by a move to Italy. Intruder Flights over the Balkans began and continued until the end of the war. In September 1945, No.256 moved to Egypt and in addition to its night fighter role also operated a flight of meteorlogical Mosquitoes from April 1946. After moving to Cyprus in July 1946 the squadron disbanded on 12 September 1946."
126.jpg (14.01 KiB) Zobrazeno 5256 x
the sand at Valley after the crash (Bryan Wild, pilot; Teddy Walker, navigator).  Was July 26th 1941,it's Defiant N1569.
the sand at Valley after the crash (Bryan Wild, pilot; Teddy Walker, navigator). Was July 26th 1941,it's Defiant N1569.
Boulton Paul Defiant Mk I of 264 Squadron.
Boulton Paul Defiant Mk I of 264 Squadron.
&quot;F/Sgt George Barrett in the cockpit of a 256 Squadron Defiant, 1941.<br />He was from Loughborough, Leicestershire, and did not become a F/Sgt, or receive the BEM until after he left 256.<br />Most of his subsequent war was spent on 151 OTU, on the North West Frontier of India.&quot;
"F/Sgt George Barrett in the cockpit of a 256 Squadron Defiant, 1941.
He was from Loughborough, Leicestershire, and did not become a F/Sgt, or receive the BEM until after he left 256.
Most of his subsequent war was spent on 151 OTU, on the North West Frontier of India."
This photograph shows ground crew preparing Defiant for the 'off' at Squires Gate, Blackpool, 256 Squadron, early 1942. My father, Bryan Wild (pilot) and great friend Stanley 'Ack' Greenwood in the turret. The photo was taken with Dad's camera.
This photograph shows ground crew preparing Defiant for the 'off' at Squires Gate, Blackpool, 256 Squadron, early 1942. My father, Bryan Wild (pilot) and great friend Stanley 'Ack' Greenwood in the turret. The photo was taken with Dad's camera.
Again, early 1942, 256 Squadron, Squires Gate, taken by Bryan Wild. I can't absolutely make out whether there's anyone in the turret, but if there is, it would be Ack Greenwood, I think, as Dad has pasted this photo into his log book together with the earlier one I posted and another taken at the same time.
Again, early 1942, 256 Squadron, Squires Gate, taken by Bryan Wild. I can't absolutely make out whether there's anyone in the turret, but if there is, it would be Ack Greenwood, I think, as Dad has pasted this photo into his log book together with the earlier one I posted and another taken at the same time.
&quot;Elizabeth Halls<br />Here's one of my father's from 256 Squadron. He flew this plane himself but the pilot in this photo is New Zealander Ray Jeffs with gunner Deryk Hollinrake, one of my father's best friends.<br />&quot;
"Elizabeth Halls
Here's one of my father's from 256 Squadron. He flew this plane himself but the pilot in this photo is New Zealander Ray Jeffs with gunner Deryk Hollinrake, one of my father's best friends.
"
Defiant N1761 JT-L of 256 Squadron landing . . .      Elizabeth Halls My father Bryan Wild flew this particular plane at least a dozen times between December 1941 and April 1942. For example, on 14 April 1942 he took it, with his gunner 'Red' Squires, to Valley and back. Perhaps that's him in there!
Defiant N1761 JT-L of 256 Squadron landing . . . Elizabeth Halls My father Bryan Wild flew this particular plane at least a dozen times between December 1941 and April 1942. For example, on 14 April 1942 he took it, with his gunner 'Red' Squires, to Valley and back. Perhaps that's him in there!
&quot;One of the lesser known roles of the Defiant was for air/sea rescue. This photo show the Type M dinghy installed on a Defiant.<br />Lewis Bloomfield Used by 100sqn during a competition to drop the dingy through the hanger doors at RAF Grimsby Emotikona wink&quot;
"One of the lesser known roles of the Defiant was for air/sea rescue. This photo show the Type M dinghy installed on a Defiant.
Lewis Bloomfield Used by 100sqn during a competition to drop the dingy through the hanger doors at RAF Grimsby Emotikona wink"
Newly produced Defiant N1650 on air test in July 1940. It went on to serve with 256 Squadron and then No. 7 Aur Gunners School.
Newly produced Defiant N1650 on air test in July 1940. It went on to serve with 256 Squadron and then No. 7 Aur Gunners School.
136.jpg
No. 141 Squadron Defiant N15564 at Gravesend after suffering an undercarriage collapse on 29/11/1940, flown by Flt Lt T B Fitzgerald, B Flight Commander, with Sgt L H Allen in the turret. Standing on the aircraft are Sgt Meredith and Sgt Townsend.
No. 141 Squadron Defiant N15564 at Gravesend after suffering an undercarriage collapse on 29/11/1940, flown by Flt Lt T B Fitzgerald, B Flight Commander, with Sgt L H Allen in the turret. Standing on the aircraft are Sgt Meredith and Sgt Townsend.
138.jpg
Pilot Officer Eric Barwell Defiant 264 Squadron.
Pilot Officer Eric Barwell Defiant 264 Squadron.
285 Squadron Boulton Paul Defiant with ground crew in 1942
285 Squadron Boulton Paul Defiant with ground crew in 1942
I'm your curse!
Luboš Pavel

Přílohy
Defiant NFI RAF 151Sqn DZ V AA435 England 1940
Defiant NFI RAF 151Sqn DZ V AA435 England 1940
A crew truck taking No. 264 Squadron aircrew to their aircraft.
A crew truck taking No. 264 Squadron aircrew to their aircraft.
It was Flight Lieutenant Christopher Deansley DFC and Flight Sergeant WJ Scott DFM with their Boulton-Paul Defiant aircraft who shot down He 111 pilot Adolf Knorringer and his other three crew members, in a dog fight which took place over the Trafford Park area on the night of May 7.
It was Flight Lieutenant Christopher Deansley DFC and Flight Sergeant WJ Scott DFM with their Boulton-Paul Defiant aircraft who shot down He 111 pilot Adolf Knorringer and his other three crew members, in a dog fight which took place over the Trafford Park area on the night of May 7.
12239622_928429163904395_1699035060213382755_n.jpg
I'm your curse!
Dusan
Kontaktovat uživatele:

Příspěvek od Dusan »

Hezké moc hezké, uklízej častěji.
HKPM Prostějov
Luboš Pavel

Lepší kvalita
Přílohy
A shark-mouthed USAAF Defiant; probably from the 11th Combat Crew Replacement Center, 326th Bombardment Squadron.
A shark-mouthed USAAF Defiant; probably from the 11th Combat Crew Replacement Center, 326th Bombardment Squadron.
I'm your curse!
Odpovědět

Zpět na „Royal Air Force 1939-1945“